This is part 30 (of 31) in a series of blogs about some of the proposed changes to the Rules of Golf.
These changes will take effect January 1st 2019.
30. PENALTY INTRODUCED: BREACH OF CODE OF CONDUCT.
Under the proposed new 2019-Rules of Golf, the golf clubs are given a possibility to make their own code of conduct…and to penalize a player for breaching these (e.g. one or two penalty strokes, or lost hole – or even disqualification).
Under the current Rules of Golf, there are not anything called “code of conduct”. A golf club thus is not allowed to penalize a player under the Rules of Golf for not plying with a code of conduct.
A lot of golf clubs today have such codes of conduct but again: The player cannot be penalized under the Rules of Golf for a breach of these – he can “only” be given penalties like “a warning” or “a three month playing prohibition” or the like (i.e. he cannot incur penalty strokes, lost hole or disqualification).
It will be very interesting to see, how this new possibility will be used.
Imagine what the reaction would be, if a professional player incurred a one stroke penalty for wearing trousers or shoes, that did not comply with the local code of conduct….!
OVERVIEW: 31 blogs about the proposal to new 2019-Rules of Golf.
- Part 1: Intro: From 34 to 24 Rules.
- Part 2: No Decisionsbook in 2019!
- Part 3: Main changes.
- Part 4: Present Rules books in effect one more year.
- Part 5: Generel changes.
- Part 6: Loose impediments.
- Part 7: Obstructions.
- Part 8: Abnormal course conditions.
- Part 9: Ball unplayable.
- Part 10. Dropping.
- Part 11: Wrong Putting Green.
- Part 12: The Putting Green.
- Part 13. Bunkers.
- Part 14: Ball embedded in own pitch mark.
- Part 15: Substitute ball.
- Part 16: The Flagstick.
- Part 17: Water hazards.
- Part 18: Provisional ball.
- Part 19: New playing form: Maximum score.
- Part 20: Outside agency.
- Part 21: The Teeing Ground.
- Part 22: The ball.
- Part 23: Turf-holes.
- Part 24: Striking the ball more than once.
- Part 25: Clubs.
- Part 26: Playing from an illegal tee.
- Part 27: Calling you marker etc.
- Part 28: Ball on the Putting Green moves after being replaced.
- Part 29: New integrity rule.
- Part 30: Penalty for breach of code of conduct.
- Part 31: Recommendations to pace of play.
Remember also to subscribe to my newsletter about the Rules of Golf: