This is part 9 (of 31) in a series of blogs about some of the proposed changes to the Rules of Golf, planning to take effect January 1st 2019:
9. BALL UNPLAYABLE.
The Rule about deeming a ball unplayable gets slightly changed from the Rule (28) we have today.
9.1. Almost everywhere.
You are – according to the proposal to new 2019-Rules of Golf – allowed to deem it unplayable everywhere on the golf course, except in a penalty area (read about penalty areas in this blog).
This is approximately the same Rule as we have today (Rule 28 states, that you can deem it unplayable everywhere on the course, except in a water hazard).
Under the proposal to new 2019-Rules of Golf, you are – when deeming your ball unplayable – allowed with a one stroke penalty to:
- Play from where you played last (same Rule as of today).
- Drop on “the straight line” (i.e. on the extension away from the hole of the straight line between the hole and the place, where the ball lay). If the ball lies in a bunker you must drop in the bunker. This is the same option as today, except that it has been clarified/stated, that the ball is deemed to be on the “straight line”, when it is 20 inches on either side of this imaginary line. Of course it is quite difficult to determine exactly, where this line is, but you must use your best discretion.
- You can drop a ball within 80 inches from the place, where the ball lay, not closer to the hole. If the ball is in a bunker, you must drop in the bunker. This Rule has been slightly changed from the Rules as of today (where you have to drop within two club lengths) – but the difference it not too big.
- NEW: If your ball is in a bunker: You are allowed to drop on “the straight line” (i.e. on the extension away from the hole of the straight line between the ball and the place where it lay) OUTSIDE the bunker with a penalty of TWO STROKES. This is a (big!) change from today, where this option does not exist!
9.3. OK to change ball.
The player is – as it is today – allowed to change the ball when deeming it unplayable.
OVERVIEW: 31 blogs about the proposal to new 2019-Rules of Golf.
- Part 1: Intro: From 34 to 24 Rules.
- Part 2: No Decisionsbook in 2019!
- Part 3: Main changes.
- Part 4: Present Rules books in effect one more year.
- Part 5: Generel changes.
- Part 6: Loose impediments.
- Part 7: Obstructions.
- Part 8: Abnormal course conditions.
- Part 9: Ball unplayable.
- Part 10. Dropping.
- Part 11: Wrong Putting Green.
- Part 12: The Putting Green.
- Part 13. Bunkers.
- Part 14: Ball embedded in own pitch mark.
- Part 15: Substitute ball.
- Part 16: The Flagstick.
- Part 17: Water hazards.
- Part 18: Provisional ball.
- Part 19: New playing form: Maximum score.
- Part 20: Outside agency.
- Part 21: The Teeing Ground.
- Part 22: The ball.
- Part 23: Turf-holes.
- Part 24: Striking the ball more than once.
- Part 25: Clubs.
- Part 26: Playing from an illegal tee.
- Part 27: Calling you marker etc.
- Part 28: Ball on the Putting Green moves after being replaced.
- Part 29: New integrity rule.
- Part 30: Penalty for breach of code of conduct.
- Part 31: Recommendations to pace of play.
Remember also to subscribe to my newsletter about the Rules of Golf: