Today I have som exciting news about the Rules of Golf!
Today the big “Rules of Golf Modernisation” har been published.
Thus, USGA and R&A have published a draft and their thoughts about a remarkable simplification and modernisation of the Rules of Golf, scheduled to take effect in 2019.
A few generel remarks about the future changes:
- The number of golf rules in the Rule Book will been reduced from 34 to 24.
- The Rule book is made easier to read, by a change in the design, in the font, by inserting pictures etc.
- The Rule book though will be longer than the existing due to many drawings etc.
- A special “players edition” of the Rule book is made, with the Rules seen from a player perspective.
- The Decisonsbook will no longer be published – instead a “handbook” with guidelines for interpretation is published.
Specific changes to the Rules of Golf.
In the draft there are MANY changes in the Rules, which will be described in future blogs. Below are a few of them:
- Searching time is reduced from 5 to 3 minutes.
- In many situations there will no longer be a penalty – e.g. when grounding in a bunker, when removing loose impediments from bunkers etc..
- The rules of dropping are simplified – e.g. you don’t have to hold the ball at shoulder height anymore.
- The use of a distance measuring device is allowed – unless a local rule prohibits it.
- A new playing form in stroke play is introduced – “maximumscore” – where the player is allowed to pick up, when a certain maximumscore for a hole is reached.
Changes take effect in 2019!
The new Rules of Golf are planned to take effect January 1st 2019.
The time schedule is this:
- “Commenting-period” from now and until August 2017 – where everybody can comment on the proposed changes.
- “Correction-period” from September 2017 until the beginning of 2018.
- “Finishing-period” from the beginng of 2018 until the end of 2018, where it is completed and published.
As stated above, I will in the following weeks publish quite a few blogs with much more about these changes.
You can read more about the proposed changes on this link.
OVERVIEW: 31 blogs about the proposal to new 2019-Rules of Golf.
- Part 1: Intro: From 34 to 24 Rules.
- Part 2: No Decisionsbook in 2019!
- Part 3: Main changes.
- Part 4: Present Rules books in effect one more year.
- Part 5: Generel changes.
- Part 6: Loose impediments.
- Part 7: Obstructions.
- Part 8: Abnormal course conditions.
- Part 9: Ball unplayable.
- Part 10. Dropping.
- Part 11: Wrong Putting Green.
- Part 12: The Putting Green.
- Part 13. Bunkers.
- Part 14: Ball embedded in own pitch mark.
- Part 15: Substitute ball.
- Part 16: The Flagstick.
- Part 17: Water hazards.
- Part 18: Provisional ball.
- Part 19: New playing form: Maximum score.
- Part 20: Outside agency.
- Part 21: The Teeing Ground.
- Part 22: The ball.
- Part 23: Turf-holes.
- Part 24: Striking the ball more than once.
- Part 25: Clubs.
- Part 26: Playing from an illegal tee.
- Part 27: Calling you marker etc.
- Part 28: Ball on the Putting Green moves after being replaced.
- Part 29: New integrity rule.
- Part 30: Penalty for breach of code of conduct.
- Part 31: Recommendations to pace of play.
Remember also to subscribe to my newsletter about the Rules of Golf: